Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Tomes for Tots

Chapter 2

A few months back, I started a semi-regular column about beginning a book club for toddlers called "Tomes for Tots." The concept is to start a book club for my four year old son and children his age and to introduce the idea of reading and discussing books. It would be a combination of a book discussion, which may only last 5 minutes, and play time with other children. 

Since the last article, I have taken some steps to attempt to gather a small group of Eastern Long Islanders for a children's book club. I was out sick for a few weeks, which caused me to lose some momentum, but I want to keep everyone up to date. So far, I put up a thread on our Goodreads site to see if any of our CWAtC members would want to get together. No response on that just yet.  Also, a mass e-mail to the parents of my son's classmates has not yielded much response, although that could be because most of the addresses came up invalid.  

I think I just need to get out from behind the computer and talk to people in person to see if they would like to participate in a club like this. Also, I will visit the library next and see if they would allow me to post an invite in their bulletin. It's difficult to execute plans when you allow your schedule to take over, but it's something I want to do, so it's a matter of making it a priority. 

Although there's not a whole lot of progress to report, I wanted to share where I was in my search, and also get some feedback from others. Please feel free to leave your ideas in our comments section. Thanks, all! 

No comments:

Post a Comment