Sunday, April 28, 2013

Required Reading

Our Tators are always reading. Here are their favorite books of the month.
April's Required Reading



More of our Tator's books »

Book recommendations, book reviews, quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists

Heather

My Favorite Match: WWE Superstars Tell the Stories of Their Most Memorable Matches: Robinson's book is exactly as promised: wrestlers telling the stories of their favorite matches. Even though I wasn't intimately knowledgeable about it when I began, I felt as though the stories taught me about the world of professional wrestling and inspired me learn more. Now, I can't get enough!


In Cold Blood: A must-read. It's  gruesome premise has been transformed into an expertly woven narrative; beautifully written and emotional. It has rocketed to the top of my favorites list and I highly recommend it.

Laura

When You Reach Me: Having lived in Queens, NY as a child myself in the early 1980's, I was able to identify with the main characters.  Back then, we were able to walk around the city in certain spots as children and still feel safe.  I felt that the author tapped into how a child around the age of 10 would think.  There are even references to "The $20,000 Pyramid."  I enjoyed it because there were moments when I was taken back to my childhood.

Jared

Brave New World: My wife made me.  Details on the next podcast. 

Karena

Life After Life: This book blew my mind. For people who ever wonder "What if I would have done x instead of y?" Sure, dying over and over again is pretty freaking extreme, but it was a very interesting concept. And with the very premise Atkinson uses, this story is never quite over, even when you run out of pages. 

Discount Armageddon: For a fun read, this one hit on so many levels. It was funny (religious mice!), action packed (free running across the roofs of New York City), and packed with smart dialogue (did I mention funny?). I had already been a fan of McGuire's with her Toby Daye series, but this one is even better.

Jeane

Nickel and Dimed: About not getting by in America. A non-fiction that reads like a fiction. A little outdated but easy to follow with a great narrator voice. Anyone struggling to break into the non-fiction genre, this would be a gateway book for you.

Angie

They Don't Dance Much: James Ross, in They Don't Dance Much, does an amazing job of capturing life during the depression in rural North Carolina. Filled with sex, torture, and murder, this story is sure to keep you reading. However, please be aware that this novel was written in the 1930's and has language that truly captures the south at the time, including an over-abundance of the "n" word.


No comments:

Post a Comment