Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Book Association: Brave New World - Modern Library

We're in our second week of Brave New World. Last week's BA was about dystopias and we went pretty obvious. Did you think of more? This week we grabbed 5 of the 100 best novels of the 20th century according to Modern Library.




Ulysses - Often this one gets a bad rap, readers either love it or hate it. I prefer to make my own decisions about books. What did you think?


Catch-22 - The source of the phrase "catch-22," this one has been called a keystone work in American literature as well as an insane journey. What did you think?


To the Lighthouse - Virginia Woolf marked her place in history with this novel. A story ultimately about change as seen through the eyes of the Ramsay family.


A Handful of Dust - One of the first satirists, Evelyn Waugh describes a society where the inhabitants want for nothing, except maybe morals. What do you do when the characters haven't any redeeming qualities whatsoever?



The Grapes of Wrath - As Steinbeck describes the journey of the migrant workers from the Dust Bowl to California, you can't help to be on the journey with them. The pivotal theme of people coming together no matter how dismal their lives are at the moment rings throughout the story.



Any others on the Modern Library list that you enjoyed? 

Next week we take on William Shakespeare. 

1 comment:

Lorelei said...

The Grapes of Wrath is one of my favorite book. Its realism and symbolism show Steinbeck's talent. He managed to transform an individual story into the story of humanity. He made it universal and eternal. His style is smooth and it makes it really easy to read. I read it at different stages of my life and each time it brought me something new, a new view of the world, a new level of understanding. Few books can do that !
I tried Catch 22, couldn't pass the first 50 pages. I guess its a matter of taste but the story just bored me. I'll probably give it another try in a few years (I don't like unfinished book on my shelves)

Post a Comment